Office of Admissions

The Unity of the Liberal Arts by Carrie Mantis

Blog: Unity of the Liberal Arts

I love writing, which is why I chose to become a communications major with a minor in writing. I never have seen myself interested, or good at for that matter, science. Since attending Eastern, a liberal arts university, I have been required to take Science, Math, English and History courses. I have not always taken a liking to all these subject areas, I have to admit that the wide range of classes have actually helped me in other subject areas. Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. This semester, I am taking a human biology course with a lab as well. Never in a million years did I envision myself enjoying biology - it's just "not my thing." Throughout the year so far, I have been able to link what I am learning in biology to other courses of interest to me. While in my psychology class, (I am considering minoring in psychology as well) I was learning about how the human brain works and the process of performing a scientific experiment. Learning about the body in both classes definitely proved to be helpful, especially as I was studying. My liberal arts education uses all of my knowledge and combines it together to help me in all subject areas.

Since I am a communications major, I have even been able to use math and apply it to calculating statistics and formulas within advertising. I have come to realize how much all subjects integrate within one another and am thankful I have been given background experience on many topics. Taking a variety of classes not only expands your mind, but opens you up to new information you never would have thought to be interesting otherwise.

University
Calendar of Events

Connecticut’s Public Liberal Arts University
83 Windham Street, Willimantic, Connecticut 06226 USA | Phone Number: (860) 465-5000
Contact Us | Directions | University Disclaimer | Eastern Home